Since 2009, the Big Thompson Watershed Forum has awarded an annual $1,500 scholarship to a student attending Colorado State University or the University of Northern Colorado and enrolled in an academic program related to water. The purpose of the scholarship was to provide the winning candidate with volunteer and networking opportunities and networking possibilities, in addition to financial support.
Beginning in 2019, the Forum will now offer a paid internship in lieu of a scholarship. This will provide the student with more hands-on experience and the opportunity to work with Forum staff in our offices and at events. Applicants must be enrolled in an approved academic program with a primary focus in hydrology, environmental health, biology or sociology, water resources, watershed science, water pollution, and/or water quality. Details and instructions for applying will be announced in late August 2019.
Scholarship Award Winners by Year
- 2018: Carly McGowan (Colorado State University, Environmental Engineering)
- 2017: Kathleen Dorman (University of Northern Colorado, Environmental Science)
- 2016: Diane Meraz (Colorado State University, Ecosystem Science & Sustainability)
- 2015: Emilie Abbott (Colorado State University, Environmental Engineering)
- 2014: Krystle Ervin (Colorado State University, Civil Engineering)
- 2013: Kali Arenas (University of Northern Colorado, Earth & Environmental Science); Amanda Weber (Colorado State University, Watershed Science)
- 2012: Elisa Baebler (Colorado State University, Watershed Science)
- 2011: Donal O’Leary (Colorado State University, Watershed Science)
- 2010: Lindsay Davis (Colorado State University, Environmental Health)
- 2009: Kelsey McCarty (Colorado State University, Watershed Science)